Pages

Monday, 6 June 2011

I Remember Clifford

Music by Benny Golson 1957
Lyrics by Jon Hendricks 




This wonderful song was written by Benny Golson as a tribute to the talented trumpeter Clifford Brown who tragically died as a result of a car accident (unlike so many other jazz musicians who struggled and succumbed to drug addiction) when he was only 25 years old.  Jon Hendricks (of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross fame) later added his own set of poignant lyrics, adding to this moving tribute to a musician who left us too early.  I had the pleasure of playing this piece when I was in a school band, I hope I did it justice, but I definitely know that you will enjoy this version a lot more!

Freddie Hubbard: trumpet
Benny Golson: tenor saxophone
Art Blakey: drums
Curtis Fuller: trombone
Walter Davis Jr: piano
Buster Williams: bass

I know he'll never be forgotten
He was a king uncrowned
I know I'll always remember
The warmth of his sound
Lingering long I'm sure he's still around
For those who heard they respect him yet
So those who hear won't forget

The sound of each phrase
Echoing time uncountable by days
The things he played are with us now
And they'll endure should time allow
Oh yes I remember Clifford
I seem to always fed him near somehow

Every day I hear his lovely tone
In every trumpet sound that has a beauty all its own
So how can we say
Something so real has really gone away?
I hear him now, I always will
Believe me I remember Clifford still.

(There are several different versions of the lyrics - I am yet to determine which are the original lyrics, if you can shed any light on this, please send me an email or leave a comment)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...