Pages

Saturday, 18 June 2011

If I Only Had A Brain

Music by Harold Arlen 1937
Lyrics by Edgar Yipsel Harburg 1939



Here's another piece made famous on the silver screen, "If I Only Had A Brain" which featured in the film "The Wizard Of Oz" in 1939.  As it turns out, this song was actually written for another production a couple of years earlier.  The melody was originally called "I'm Hanging On To You" and was intended to be for the 1937 Broadway musical "Hooray For What!".  When it was decided not to use the song in the show, it was recycled and new lyrics were written for it when it was used in "The Wizard Of Oz". I used to play this song in band rehearsals as a musical joke, mostly to annoy the conductors. And yes, Carl Fontana does sort of look like Carl Fredrickson (the old man from the 2009 film "Up")

Carl Fontana: trombone
Pete Jolly: piano
Chuck Berghofer: bass
Joe La Barbera: drums

I could wile away the hours,
Conferrin' with the flowers,
Consultin' with the rain,
And my head I'd be scratchin',
While my thoughts were busy hatchin',
If I only had a brain,

I'd unravel any riddle,
For any individ'le,
In trouble or in pain,
With the thoughts I'd be thinkin',
You could be another Lincoln,
If I only had a brain,

Oh, I would tell you why,
The ocean's near the shore,
I could think of things I never thunk before,
And then I'd sit and think some more,

I would not be just a nuffin',
My head all full of stuffin',
My heart all full of pain,
I would dance and be merry,
Life would be a ding-a-derry,
If I only had a brain,

Gosh, it would be pleasin',
To reason out the reason,
To things I can't explain,
And perhaps I'll deserve ya,
And be worthy urve ya,
If I only had a brain,

1 comment:

  1. I remember this song! Wouldn't credit that its not the original lyrics

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...