Pages

Wednesday, 22 June 2011

La Valse Des Lilas (Once Upon A Summertime)

Original French lyric by Eddie Marnay
English Lyric by Johnny Mercer
Music by Michel Le Grand and Eddie Barclay



This a wonderfully intimate performance by Bill Mays, Terry Clarke and Neil Swainson that never fails to evoke a sense of elegance and nostalgia.  The notes that are not played, are just as important here as the ones that are played, and help set the mood for this lovely piece.

Bill Mays: piano
Neil Swainson: bass
Terry Clarke: drums

Once upon a summertime, if you recall,
We stopped beside a little flower stall,
A bunch of bright forget-me-not’s was all, I’d let you buy me,

Once upon a summertime, just like today,
We laughed a happy afternoon away,
And stole a kiss in every street café,

You were sweeter than the blossoms on the tree,
I was as proud as any girl could be,
As if the mayor had offered me the key, to Paris,

Now another wintertime, has come and gone,
The pigeons feeding in the square have flown,
But I remember when the vespers chimed,
You loved me once, upon a summertime...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...