Pages

Thursday, 9 June 2011

The Peacocks

Composed by Jimmy Rowles



Recorded live on stage at the Jazz Middelheim jazz festival in Belgium the 16th of August, 1974 (Bill Evans's birthday!), this piece is a perfect showcase of two of the most beautiful sounding artists in jazz.  Stan Getz plays the haunting melody while Bill Evans provides all the rest, it really shows why Stan Getz was known as "The Sound".  John Coltrane was quoted as saying "We would all sound like Stan Getz if we could".  The warmth and purity of his sound, coupled with Bill Evans delicate playing is why this performance of The Peacocks is my favourite out of all the versions I've heard so far.

Bill Evans: piano
Stan Getz: tenor saxophone

2 comments:

  1. I love this, I think it's probably one of my favourite recordings ever. Two of the best artists together. Doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's simply soul moving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...