Pages

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Waltz For Debby

Music by Bill Evans 1956
Lyrics by Gene Lees



This song should be special to all parents, especially ones with daughters.  Describing how a parent might feel as they watch their daughter growing up, I think that this song would apply to us all as we look back on our own childhood.  It also makes me wonder what it would be like if the Velveteen Rabbit and the Toy Story movies were real (especially Toy Story 3, watch it if you haven't already, it is brilliant).

This version is from The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album, recorded in 1975.  The first of two albums that they recorded together, it's well worth having a listen, pick it up if you come across it!

Bill Evans: piano
Tony Bennett: vocals

In her own sweet world,
Populated by dolls and clowns,
And a prince and a big purple bear,

Lives my favourite girl,
Unaware of the worried frowns,
That we weary grown ups all wear,

In the sun she dances to silent music,
Songs that are spun of gold,
Somewhere in her own little head,

One day all day all too soon,
She'll grow up and she'll leave her dolls,
And her prince and her silly old bear,

When she goes they will cry,
As they whisper goodbye,
They will miss her I fear,
But then so will I...

When she goes they will cry,
As they whisper goodbye,
They will miss her I fear,
But then so will I...

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic!
    I really love this blog by the way, I'm a big fan of jazz and you have some really good picks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...