Pages

Monday, 13 June 2011

You’ve Changed

Music and lyrics by Bill Carey and Carl Fischer 1941



Dexter Gordon was known for reciting the lyrics to a song before he played it. When I was in a band I did the same thing, and I think it really helps with understanding a song even when it is being played as an instrumental.  Dexter Gordon was known for playing behind the beat, and his interpretation of "You've Changed" has a relaxed  feel, almost a feeling of resignation that matches the lyrics perfectly.  The say that instrumentalists aim to sound like vocalists, and vocalists want to sound like instrumentalists, in this case Dexter Gordon really sings through his tenor in this 1961 recording.

Dexter Gordon: tenor saxophone
Freddie Hubbard: trumpet
Horace Parlan: piano
George Tucker: bass
Al Harewood: drums

You’ve changed,
That sparkle in your eyes is gone,
Your smile is just a careless yawn,
You’re breaking my heart, you’ve changed,

You’ve changed,
You’re kisses now are so blasé,
You’re bored with me in every way,
I can’t understand, you’ve changed,

You’ve forgotten the words, I love you,
Each memory that we’ve shared,
You ignore every star above you,
I can’t realise you ever cared,

You’ve changed,
You’re not the angel I once knew,
No need to tell me that we’re through,
It’s all over now, you’ve changed,

You’ve forgotten the words, I love you,
Each memory that we’ve shared,
You ignore every star above you,
I can’t realise you ever cared,

You’ve changed,
You’re not the angel I once knew,
No need to tell me that we’re through,
It’s all over now, you’ve changed…

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...