Pages

Sunday, 21 August 2011

Goodbye

By Gordon Jenkins 1935




Cannonball Adderley: alto saxophone
Bill Evans: piano
Percy Heath: bass
Connie Kay: drums


Goodbye is one of the saddest songs out there in the jazz world, and jazz is known for having many blue standards. Goodbye was even rejected by the Isham Jones band for being too sad! The song later became well known as the closing theme for Benny Goodman's radio broadcasts. One of my melancholy favourites.

I'll never forget you, (though I try and I try)
I'll never forget you, (this is our last goodbye)
I'll never forget how we promised one day,
To love one another forever that way,
We said we'd never say, (we believed it would last forever)
Goodbye, (when you are young, love is that way)

But that was long ago,
Now you've forgotten I know,
No use to wonder why,
Let's say farwell with a sigh,
Let love die,

But we'll go on living, (how does love go astray?)
Our own way of living, (how does love slip away?)
So you'll take the high road and I'll take the low,
It's time that we parted,
It's much better so,
But kiss me as you go, (and if you ever get too lonely,)
Goodbye, (keep me in mind, keep me in mind)
Goodbye...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...