Pages

Thursday, 11 August 2011

Here's That Rainy Day

Music by Jimmy Van Heusen 1953
Lyrics by Johnny Burke 1953




Freddie Hubbard: flugelhorn
George Benson: guitar
Ron Carter: bass

Here's that rainy day originally appeared in the 1953 Broadway musical Carnival in Flanders.  Although the musical was a flop and only ran for six performances, Here's that rainy day has been a jazz musicians favourite ever since.

This is one of my favourite songs when my day does seem to be a deeper shade of gray and blue than usual.  Although it's a blue song, it never fails to cheer me up.

Maybe I should have saved those leftover dreams,
Funny, but here's that rainy day,
Here's that rainy day they told me about,
And I laughed at the thought that,
It might turn out this way,

Where is that worn out wish that I threw aside,
After it brought my lover near,
Funny how love becomes a cold rainy day,
Funny, that rainy day is here,

Where is that worn out wish that I threw aside,
After it brought my lover near,
Funny how love becomes a cold rainy day,
Funny, that rainy day is here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...