Pages

Sunday, 28 August 2011

Little Jazz Bird

Music By George Gershwin 1924
Lyrics by Ira Gershwin 1924



Blossom Dearie: vocals, piano
Kenny Burrell: guitar
Ed Thigpen: drums
Ray Brown: double bass

I've only come across this song recently but it's quickly become part of my regular listening rotation. Blossom Dearie's girlish voice matches the cuteness of the lyrics perfectly. Little Jazz Bird first appeared back in 1924 as part of Lady Be Good which was the Gershwin brothers first Broadway musical.


Into a cabaret,
One fatal day,
A little songbird flew,

Found it so very gay,
He thought he'd stay,
Just to get a bird's eye view,

When he heard the jazz band playing,
He was happy as a lark,
To each measure he kept swaying,
And he stayed 'til after dark,

Then back to the land he knew,
Thrilled through and through,
He sailed on in the air,

Called all the other birds,
And in these words,
Started gurgling then and there,

I'm a little jazz bird,
And I'm telling you to be one too,
For a little jazz bird,
Is in heaven when it's singing blue,

I say it with regret,
But you're out of date,
You ain't heard nothing yet,
'Til you syncopate,

When the going is rough,
You will find your troubles all have flown,
If you warble your stuff,
Like the moaning of a saxophone,

Just try my recipe,
And I'm sure you'll agree,
That a little jazz bird,
Is the only kind of bird to be,

I say it with regret,
But you're out of date,
You ain't heard nothing yet,
'Til you syncopate,

When the going is rough,
You will find your troubles all have flown,
If you warble your stuff,
Like the moaning of a saxophone,

Just try my recipe,
And I'm sure you'll agree,
That a little jazz bird,
Is the only kind of bird to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...